Causes, Warning Signs, and How Chiropractic Can Help
Shoulder pain is a widespread problem that can stem from various sources, ranging from injury to repetitive movements or even medical conditions. Regardless of the cause, shoulder pain can be debilitating and hinder your daily life. This article will provide answers to some common questions about discomfort in the shoulder and its potential causes, and how chiropractic care can effectively address this issue.
Main Causes of Shoulder Discomfort
There are numerous factors that can lead to shoulder pain, including:
- Injury: Accidents or sudden impact can damage the shoulder structure, such as falls or sports injuries.
- Overuse: Repetitive movements or straining the shoulder can lead to inflammation or wear and tear of the joint, muscles, or tendons.
- Degeneration: Age-related degeneration, such as arthritis, can wear down the shoulder joint and cause discomfort.
- Medical conditions: Some medical conditions, like heart or lung problems, can manifest as shoulder pain as a referred pain.
- Poor posture: Slouching or poor alignment of the spine can put stress on the shoulder muscles and tendons.
Structures in the Shoulder Potentially Causing Discomfort
The shoulder is a complex joint that consists of various structures that could be the sources of pain:
- Rotator cuff: A group of muscles and tendons forming a ‘cuff’ around the shoulder, responsible for stability and movement.
- Bursa: A fluid-filled sac that reduces friction between the rotator cuff and the shoulder blade.
- Labrum: A band of cartilage that lines the socket of the shoulder joint, providing stability.
- Ligaments: Connective tissue that attaches the bones of the shoulder, providing support and stability.
- Nerves and blood vessels: Inflammation or injury affecting these structures can contribute to shoulder pain.
“Warning signs of a rotator cuff tear include persistent pain, weakness, and limited range of motion.”
Three Major Reasons
The three most common reasons for shoulder pain include:
- Rotator cuff injuries: Damage to the rotator cuff muscles or tendons, usually from overuse, injury, or degeneration.
- Bursitis: Inflammation of the bursa, usually due to overuse or strain of the shoulder joint.
- Frozen shoulder: Stiffness and ache in the shoulder caused by inflammation and adhesions in the shoulder capsule.
Shoulder Ache Without Injury
If you experience a shoulder ache without an obvious injury, it could result from various factors, such as:
- Poor posture or muscle imbalances
- Arthritis, tendinitis, or other degenerative issues
- Medical conditions that cause referred discomfort to the shoulder
How Can Chiropractic Help with Shoulder Pain?
Chiropractic care, provided by a licensed Centreville chiropractor, can effectively address the underlying issues causing your shoulder pain. Chiropractic treatments may include:
- Spinal adjustments to improve alignment and reduce stress on the shoulder
- Soft tissue therapies, such as massage or myofascial release
- Therapeutic exercises to strengthen and stabilize the shoulder
- Advice on posture and ergonomics to prevent further strain or injury
- Modalities such as ultrasound, cold laser therapy, or electrical stimulation to alleviate pain and inflammation
At Health & Rehab Chiropractic in Centreville, VA, our experienced team can assess your condition and provide a customized treatment plan to address your shoulder discomfort. With our comprehensive approach, we aim to alleviate your pain, restore your function, and prevent future problems. Don’t let shoulder pain hold you back – contact us today to schedule an appointment and start your journey to a pain-free life.
Book an Appointment
Give us a call at (703) 877-0787 or